Today brings guest preacher Dwayne Ewers.
Pastor Ben Dockery opened the service with a reading of Psalm 150, and opened the service with prayer that encouraged all to focus attention on God.
Mickie Bainter, using her guitar, led the gathered in two songs out of the Baptist Hymnal
- 359/This is the Day
- 418/Peace Like a River
Dockery returned to the podium to welcome guests and introduce Ewers. Dockery and Ewers work together at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and have been friends for a long time. Ewers is a graduate of Boyce Bible College. He is married and the father of three children.
Colossians 3:1-11. How to Live Between the Already and the Not Yet
Taking a trip to Grandma’s house can be hard on children if they get stuck in rush hour traffic in the city where Grandma lives. The kids, knowing they are in the city, think they are already at Grandma’s. They are between the already, and the not yet.
Christians are living in the same situation: They are already there, but not yet.
- Set your mind on things above, not things on earth.
- We long for heaven because Christ is there.
- We long for heaven because He is the author and perfector
- Understand your life is hidden in Christ
- What do you look forward to in Christ’s return?
- It is the revealing of the return of Christ.
- Be dead to sin
- The external sins of sexual immorality, lust, evil desires and greed
- The internal sins of anger, malice, anger, rage, slander
- Be renewed in Christ.
- A continual process, as Jesus said, “Take up your cross daily.”
- Paul asks, “Do you remember that you walk with Christ?”
- Available to all.
- There is equal footing at the cross
- Have you set your mind on things above?
- Do you continually die to self?
- Are you allowing God to continually renew you?
- Do you believe today?
You can listen to the sermon by clicking on the player, or right-click on the link and save the file to your computer.
March 14, 2010 PM (Dwayne Ewers)