September 11, 2016 Morning Worship
As members and guests of Vine Street Baptist Church gathered for worship, they were reminded of the events that happened 15 years ago this day — the attack on the country in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania. Those who lost their lives on 9/11 were remembered during the pastoral prayer in the service.
The worship service began with Deacon Gary Cook reading Psalm 34 and saying a prayer. Worship Leaders Jacob and Jaime Hatcher led the gathered in song:
- Precious Lord, Take My Hand
- How Firm a Foundation
Jacob welcomed everyone, then encouraged the congregation to greet one another in a time of fellowship. Pastor Spencer Harmon brought everyone back together for a prayer over the offering, then the deacons passed the plates while Spencer presented several announcements:
- Introduction of a new bulletin format and changes to the order of service
- Introduction the sermon series over 2nd Corinthians
- Tonight’s bible study covers “The Person of Jesus: Judging”
- Business Meeting tonight after evening study
- Pal-O-Mine this Wednesday at 10:30am
- Shape Note singing next Sunday at 2:30pm
- Ordination Service for Spencer Harmon on September 25th, 6:00pm
- Pastoral concerns and prayer
After the prayer, the Hatchers led the body in more songs:
- ‘Tis So Sweet
- Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
Spencer read the opening passage to the sermon, then began preaching.
Today’s message was the first in a series through the book of 2nd Corinthians. The full audio can be heard by clicking on the date link below, or right-click and select “Save As” to save the file to your computer. Click on the scripture reference to follow along with the reading.
|September 11, 2016 AM||2nd Corinthians 1:1-11||The Purpose of Pain||Spencer Harmon|
After the sermon, the congregation sang Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus during a time of response and reflection, then Spencer read a closing benediction.